Expressway Cinema Rentals is excited to add a lot of new gear to our inventory this year. From camera bodies to lenses, check out the camera products that we’re excited to get our hands on in 2020!
ALEXA Mini LF
Combining the compact size and low weight of the popular ALEXA Mini with the large-format ALEXA LF sensor, ALEXA Mini LF brings exciting new creative possibilities to ARRI’s large-format camera system.
- Immersive large-format look.
- Lower noise with higher usable sensitivity.
- Highest dynamic range of any production camera.
- ARRI color science for natural skin tones, easy color correction and clean VFX.
- Perfect for High Dynamic Range (HDR) and Wide Color Gamut (WCG) displays.
- New MVF-2 high contrast HD viewfinder
- Internal motorized FSND Filters: ND 0.6, 1.2 and 1.8
Technician’s Notes: From a camera assistant’s perspective, ARRI made great strides to clean up and re-think some usability issues that were present with the Alexa Mini. The EVF ports are less finicky thanks to the key-less CoaXPress connector, which can easily be clicked in at any rotation. The media slot has moved from the rear to the side. This makes it way easier to access and will no longer be blocked by a battery plate. The MVF-2 monitor can be flipped around entirely, which allows access to camera settings from the assistant side. Also interesting is the LDS2 system, which allows supported lenses to be used without calibration; a huge time-saver during lens changes. It’s pretty clear that ARRI genuinely considered the user experience of the on-set technician in the camera’s design process.
Building on the success of the PXW-FS7 and PXW-FS7M2, the FX9 uniquely combines high mobility with an advanced AF system, impressive bokeh and slow-motion capabilities thanks to its newly-developed sensor.
- 4K recording oversampled by 6K resolution to deliver superb smoothness and detail
- Newly developed “Exmor R” 6K sensor with lower noise and 15+ stops of latitude, wide dynamic range, and high sensitivity
- 4K 4:2:2 10bit internal recording to XQD memory cards
- Cinematic color science with S-Cinetone™
- Dual base ISO (ISO 800 / ISO 4000)
- Electronic Variable Neutral Density filter / Auto ND
- Fast Hybrid Autofocus System with fast and intelligent AF response, high-speed subject tracking, and customizable AF settings
- Genlock and Timecode In / Out on the camera body
- Improved usability improvements from FS7M2
Technician’s Notes: Sony managed to fit a full frame sensor and the processing power to accompany it in a camera body roughly the size of its predecessor, the FS7 Mk II, which is quite an impressive feat. The S-Cinetone image science derived from the Venice that is significantly more pleasant than that of the FS7 series is also present here. This provides, most notably, a larger highlight roll-off curve and more realistic, warm skin tones. This imaging power coupled with the dual ISO technology makes this camera a versatile and exciting option.
Blackwing7 Lenses from Tribe7
In a collaboration with IB/E Optics, Bradford Young, ASC and Neill Fanthem have launched the new company Tribe7. Their first offering, “Blackwing7 Primes” is an artistic, tune-able set of lenses with Full-Frame coverage.
- Seven focal lengths available in the initial set: 27, 37, 47, 57, 77, 107, and 137mm
- T1.9 – T22 across the whole set
- Three available image tunings with unique looks: S: Medium focus roll-off, medium flare T: Heavy focus roll-off, medium flare X: Heaviest focus roll-off, high flare
- 48mm image circle (covers Full Frame/VV) with all but the 27mm illuminating up to a 60mm circle
- Multiple choices for element coatings to further adjust the look
- Heavy Duty, professional cinema optomechanics and housing with standard PL mount, 114mm front diameter, and matched spacing for geared iris and focus rings.
Technician’s Notes: These lenses are scratching the itch for modern optics with customizable looks. They are really opening a door for not just technical, but creative adjustment of optical design. Whereas most modern optical design is geared toward correcting optical defects by adding computer generated aspheres and electronic adjustments, Tribe7 is embracing classic optical design and allowing the end user to decide the level of optical perfection. They have done this while maintaining the high usability standards of professional cinema lenses. All while keeping up with the technology of ever-growing imaging sensors with an image circle that covers even more than Full Frame.